Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Sophies flat head

Sophie's flat head - although it is hard to see the extent at this angle, I tried to get one side on but she loves the camera too much and whenever I tried to take the photo side on she would turn her head and give big grins.
Sophies new toy

Brad has been away for a couple of days so haven’t had time to update. Sophie had an appointment with a pediatrician on Monday to just get a check on her flat head (from sleeping on her back). The doctor was very good and thorough and did a full body check while there. He said the flat head wasn’t that bad and as she is getting stronger and stronger in the neck she isn’t putting so much weight on the back of her head anymore when sleeping so he feels it will get better and that it certainly doesn’t require any surgery or anything, but he did order up some x-rays just to check the bones. But the one thing he did pick up while doing his checks was that she has a heart murmur! I think my own heart skipped a beat and plummeted into my stomach when he mentioned this – but he then put me at ease by saying that it is a very common thing in babies and that as much as 1 in a 100 babies have it and most go undetected – however to be on the safe side he has done x-rays of her chest and is organizing an ECG at Starship hospital. Still I won’t be completely calm about it until we get the all clear. Gosh having children is ageing!

We had about two weeks of calm and a perfect sleeping baby, which made it possible for me to get things done during the day, but as of yesterday she has been a bit wakeful, only napping for about 45 minutes each time and then being grumpy when awake as she isn’t getting enough sleep! Still I am sure we will get her back to normal. She didn’t really like the x-rays on Monday and screamed and screamed while they were being done, so she is probably having flashbacks when she is asleep, hence the waking up! We went for a nice long walk today and I think she enjoyed the fresh air and change of scenery – I feel now she is getting older that she is getting bored with her environment and toys, so I purchased a new one from Trade Me, does tend to look like we have abandoned her in a boat though (see pic)! But she seems to love it and it does keep her occupied for longer than her floor mat, possibly because she gets to sit up and have a good look around her.

Lately Sophie has been dribbling and sucking her fingers and fists lots, I know she is only four months, but it looks like a tooth might be coming through as she has a cut gum like a tooth trying to push through, but I have heard that this can happen and the tooth still take another three months, so we will just have to put up with a LOT of dribble until then. Brad has just recovered from having a cold, and luckily (touch wood) neither Sophie nor I got it, whew – I am not looking forward to the day that I have to look after a sick baby as I can just imagine how hard that must be – Sophie is adorable and I love looking after her, but even healthy she is pretty full on and exhausts me by the end of the day! God I can only imagine what its going to be like when she is a toddler, she’s just so busy and nosey.

Ingrid


No comments: